Leave this site
We use some essential cookies to make our website work. We’d like to set additional cookies so we can remember your preferences and understand how you use our site.
You can manage your preferences and cookie settings at any time by clicking on “Customise Cookies” below. For more information on how we use cookies, please see our Cookies notice.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Your cookie preferences have been saved. You can update your cookie settings at any time on the cookies page.
Sorry, there was a technical problem. Please try again.
This site is a beta, which means it's a work in progress and we'll be adding more to it over the next few weeks. Your feedback helps us make things better, so please let us know what you think.

A teenager who threw bricks at police officers has been jailed for 18 months.
Cole Stewart threw multiple objects at officers who had been deployed to violent disorder in Darlington last Monday evening (August 5).
The 18-year-old was caught on CCTV “celebrating” after repeatedly throwing bricks and other objects at the officers near North Lodge Park, with one of them hitting an officer.
Stewart, of Victoria Road, Darlington, was arrested at the scene and charged with violent disorder.
He admitted the offence and was sentenced to 18 months in a young offenders’ institute at Teesside Crown Court today.
Enquiries into the disorder remain ongoing, and officers expect to make further arrests in the coming days and weeks.
Durham Constabulary’s Chief Constable, Rachel Bacon, said: “The level of hatred displayed by those threatening violence to both the local community and my officers was of an unprecedented level.
“Many of our officers are very young in service and while carrying out their duties of protecting the public, were ferociously attacked with missiles, including bricks, rubble, and glass bottles.
“Some missiles made contact with our officers. However, fortunately no long-term injuries were sustained. We are yet to understand the longer-term psychological effects of this traumatic experience upon officers’ health and wellbeing.”
She added: “Neighbourhood officers report that the local community is still traumatised by the events of Monday night, with businesses concerned about potential damage to their premises as well as the safety of their families.
“As we have previously said, we will not tolerate criminality and violent disorder in our communities.
“I reiterate to anybody who commits these types of acts, we will tirelessly look for you and deal with you robustly.
“Our investigation into Monday’s disorder remains ongoing, and we will strive for justice on behalf of our communities - they do not deserve to be intimidated by this behaviour.”
If you have any information that could assist our enquiries, please contact us on 101, or use the live chat function on our website.
Information can also be submitted anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or via their website at www.crimestoppers-org.uk