alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content

COVID-19: Click here for government guidance

Please visit our COVID-19 page for further information

Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

The Road Safety Bureau deals with the administration of all Fixed Penalty Notices issued in the Durham Constabulary force area. These include non-endorsable Fixed Penalty Notices, safety camera offences, Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme Notices, penalty notices for disorder and traffic offence reports.

Contact information

Road Safety Bureau
Spennymoor Police Station
Wesleyan Road
DL16 6FB

Email address:
Telephone: 0191 3752949  (10am until 4pm)

To appeal against a fixed penalty

If you wish to appeal against a Fixed Penalty Notice you have received, please download the Fixed Penalty Request for Excused Payment Form. Please read the form carefully, then complete and return it to the above address. Alternatively you can contact us in writing with your appeal ensuring that you provide details of the alleged offence, including a reference number where applicable.

Frequently asked questions

How do I pay my fixed penalty?
The Magistrates’ Courts Fixed Penalty Office deal with payments in respect of all fixed penalty notices. Payments cannot be made in instalments. Please do not send your payment to the police fixed penalty unit as the police are unable to accept payments.

Please refer to your fixed penalty notice for full details regarding payment. The recommended method of payment is online at or via the automated payment line by credit or debit card, telephone number 0300 1231481. Unfortunately this is not applicable to conditional offers of fixed penalty where payments must be sent by post. For queries regarding payments, please telephone the Fixed Penalty Office on 0113 307 6642, Option 4.

I have been issued with a traffic offence report, what happens next?
The Road Safety Bureau will send you correspondence in relation to the offence committed. If you have any queries regarding your traffic offence report, contact

I have received a conditional offer of fixed penalty and lost my driving licence. How can I comply with the conditional offer I have received?
Please contact the Road Safety Bureau who will advise you accordingly and may be able to offer an extension.

I have received a notice of intended prosecution for a safety camera offence. Can I view the visual evidence?
Visual evidence is available by visiting 

You will need the document reference and passcode details shown on your notice to access the portal. Please note the evidence held is to support a police prosecution and should not be relied upon for identification purposes.