alert-icon@2xalert-icon@2xion-close-round - Ionicons- white@2x Skip to content
Report online For non emergencies
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 999 For emergency calls only
Call 101 For all non emergencies
Call 101 For All non emergencies

Please note, Durham Constabulary do not take reports of lost property and cannot issue a reference number. 

Hazardous items

Hazardous items such as firearms, shotguns, ammunition, explosives, poisons, toxins or chemicals that have been lost or stolen should be reported to police immediately on 999.

Electrical items or any equipment with a serial number

Mobile phones, MP3 players, computers, or any equipment with a serial number (including bicycles).

Report the loss via

For pedal cycles, please visit

Reports are searchable by police forces nationwide and insurance companies to help restore property or process a claim.

Identifiable items

Identifiable items (for example with the owner’s name and address or other contact details in or on the item).

You do not need to report the loss. If the item is handed in we will make efforts to contact you.

Items which do not have a serial number but have a high monetary or sentimental value

Items which do not have a serial number but have a high monetary (over £500) or sentimental value (for example, heirlooms).

Please speak to a member of staff who will see what additional assistance we could offer.

Prescribed medication and drugs

Contact GP or NHS Direct and seek guidance.

UK passports or driving licence

You must cancel a lost or stolen passport as soon as possible. Click here to start the process.

Contact the DVLA to report a lost or stolen driving licence. Click here or call 0300 790 6802.

Lost or stolen foreign passports, ID cards and driving licences should be reported at your nearest police station. 

Unidentifiable low value items

It is highly unlikely that items such as luggage, empty purses, empty wallets or low value unidentifiable items such as umbrellas, spectacles, used or soiled clothing and perishable goods will be handed to the police. Therefore, you are advised to make enquiries at the location the item was lost.


Found property

If you have found property, your legal obligation is to try to reunite it with the owner. You could do this by putting up a notice near to where you found the item. You may be able to keep the item you have found on the understanding that, if the owner comes forward, you must give it back.

If you find an item on private property, such as at a restaurant or business, you should hand it to staff as they should operate their own lost and found procedures.

There are certain items that you are not allowed to keep and claim under ANY circumstances. These include mobile phones, identification documents, weapons and war medals. If you find cash, you will not be able to keep hold of it but will be able to claim it after 28 days.

We will accept some found items, please visit an enquiry desk for advice or contact us on live chat. The types of items we may be able to help with include:

  • an item with a serial number
  • anything with a memory or storage function
  • identifiable information such as personal documents
  • money or valuable items
  • bicycles

We recommend recording any lost or found property at or Report my Loss.