If you have a degree or are in your final year of study for a degree you can apply to our Degree Holder Entry Programme (DHEP).
The two-year programme will provide degree holders (in any subject area) with the opportunity to learn as they earn with a starting salary of £24,780. You’ll be an officer from day one and will also gain a fully-funded Graduate Diploma in Professional Policing Practice with Northumbria University.
Unlike more traditional qualifications, the DHEP entry route is a vocational programme that focuses on practical learning and is specifically tailored for a career in policing. You’ll learn how policing works in theory so that when you encounter practical situations in real life, you’ll be prepared and know what to do.
Am I eligible to apply for DHEP?
- You must be at least 17 to apply and 18 at the time of appointment.
- Applicants should be British citizens, or passport holders from a full EU Member State. You can also apply if you're a Commonwealth citizen or foreign national who is resident in the UK with indefinite leave to remain.
- You must have lived in the UK for three continuous years immediately prior to application.
- Have previously achieved an Undergraduate or Bachelor's Degree Level 6 with the following classifications-Honours Level Degree (either First Class honours, Upper Second Class Honours, Lower Second Class Honours and Third Class Honours) or an Ordinary Degree (not in Professional Policing Practice). A Master's Degree at Level 7 is also acceptable.
- Not be a member of the British National Party (BNP) plus other organisations such as Combat 18 or The National Front.
- If you have a criminal record, this doesn't mean you're automatically ineligible; it depends on the nature of your conviction. Please declare any caution or conviction on your application form. Failure to do so will result in failing vetting due to integrity issues.
- You must not be registered bankrupt with outstanding debts, have outstanding County Court Judgements against you, or be subject to a current Individual Voluntary Agreement (IVA).
- Tattoos which are offensive, garish, prominent or numerous are not acceptable. Please supply photos and measurements of any tattoos along with your application, as per application guidance.
- You must hold a full manual driving licence prior to commencing with Durham Constabulary.
How to apply: We are currently closed for PC recruitment. Please check out our recruitment pages for current roles here.