The Volunteer Police Cadets (VPC) started in February 2014 with the aim of encouraing the spirit of adventure and good citizenship while inspiring young people to develop knowledge and understanding of the policing role to ultimately participate positively in their local communities.
There are currently 64 cadets aged between 11 to 18 years old. Plans to deliver the scheme in the south of the county in 2021 are also planned, as well as the offer of participating in the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme.
Every young person deserves the opportunity to thrive regardless of their background. We encourage young people from all backgrounds to join the VPC, including those who may be vulnerable to the influences of crime and social exclusion - currently 25% of our cadets fall into this category.
Objectives - by the end of the programme young people will be better able to:
- Demonstrate via cadet activities an increase in self confidence/self esteem
- Show how to utilise the principles of self discipline
- Explain the how to maintain health and wellbeing for themselves and others
- Describe the style and type of policing within Durham Constabulary
- Outline the roles of the different units/areas that make up Durham Constabulary
- Describe the main points within identified local policing and other external national initiatives
- Identify key areas of legislation and how offences may affect victims and communities
- Identify policing procedures and how these may impact on individuals and communities
- Demonstrate the key principles of dealing with a given community policing scenario
- To support local policing priorities through volunteering within communities
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the basic employability skills required to progress into further education/employment
- Show individual skills as a leader by being a role model and supporting and developing others
- Display a commitment to the values of equality and diversity and to understand and demonstrate the Code of Ethics and the Durham Difference
The cadets are split into three units, who are each led by cadet leaders from Durham Agency Against Crime (DAAC), police staff including apprentice youth workers, former cadets, project coordinators, police officers and PCSOs, as well as force volunteers.
For further information around the VPC scheme, visit the DAAC website, or email email@example.com or call DAAC on 0191 300 8460.