Clare's Law




The Domestic Abuse Offender Disclosure Scheme (DAODS) known as Clare's Law. During the inquest of the murder of Clare Wood it was highlighted the she would of not been in a relationship with her killer if she has known about his abusive past towards previous partners.


The scheme allows people to make inquiries about their partner if you are worried that they may have been abusive in the past.


If police checks show that there is a record of abusive behaviour, or there is other information to indicate that there may be a risk, we will consider sharing this information with you.

The information is given it is to help you to make an informed decision on whether to continue with a relationship. We will make sure that if you want it, further help and support will be available to assist you when making that choice.

If you receive any information it will be to help protect you from domestic abuse.




Who can make the application?

  • You can make an application about your partner if you have a concern that they may harm you.
  • Any concerned third party, such as your parents, neighbours or friends can also make an application if they are concerned about you.
    • However, if someone else applies they would not receive any information about your partner. 
    • Information will only be given to the person in the relationship.
    • OR - information will be given to someone who is in a position to protect you from the abuse.

You’re right to know

You may receive some information even if you have not made an application.


This is because, if the police receive information about your partner and they consider that it puts you at risk of harm from domestic abuse, then they may tell you that information, or tell another person who they consider best placed to protect you.



How do I apply?

You can:
  • Visit a police station.
  • Phone 101, the non-emergency number for the police.
  • Speak to a member of the police on the street.
 Remember: in an emergency call 999.


 What happens next?


The police will run some initial checks based on the information you have provided. This is to make sure that you are safe while the application for information is processed.


We need to know you are who you say you are

As we are dealing with someone's personal information we need to make sure you are who you say you are. We will need to see some ID. We need to see to forms of ID and ideally one should be with a photograph.

The forms of ID that could be used are:

  • Your passport
  • Your driving licence
  • Household utility bill
  • Your bank statement
  • Your benefit book
  • Your birth certificate


 Hide this site

Will anyone else be involved?

Checks may be made with other agencies based on the information you give them; for example:
  • The Prison Service
  • The Probation Service 
  • Social Services


How long does it take?

We aim to have all checks completed and any relevant information given out within 35 days. 

Sometimes checks can take longer than expected meaning some cases will take slightly longer.

We give you information, what can I do with it?

The law has strict rules we need to follow, you will be given information (we refer to this as a disclosure) if it is lawful, necessary and proportionate to protect you from your partner.

You will be asked to sign an agreement before you are given any information saying that you will not tell anyone what you have been told.


Why can't I tell anyone?

A person’s previous convictions are confidential.

We have to believe the information will be used to protect you before we can give it out. 

This information is subject to the Data Protection Act so we need to make sure that you don't tell anyone else as this could mean that you get in trouble.


I've not been told anything?

You may not have been given any information because:

  • Your partner does not have a record of abusive offences. 
  • There is no information to suggest that they pose a risk to you.
  • There is some information is held on your partner but this is not enough to meet the rules of the scheme.
  • It may be the case that your partner is not known to the police for abusive offences.


If you are concerned by your partners behaviour towards you don't ignore it. Please see the support helplines who will be able to offer  you advice and support.


 Hide this site




Support Helplines

Harbour Support Services for Domestic Abuse Support:
03000 20 25 25
Gay Advice Darlington:
01325 355551
Sanctuary Supported Living Darlington: 01325 46480
Citizens Advice:
03444 111 444
National Domestic abuse helpline,
Freephone: 0808 2000 247
 Stone Meadow House, Consett:
01207 282193
Harbour Refuge Peterlee:
0191 5868890
Wear Valley Women's Aid Refuge:
01388 600 094
Durham Women’s Refuge:
0191 386 5951